Monday, June 25, 2012

Quelimane Week 10 - June 25, 2012

(Portuguese pronunciation: "Kelly-mahn-ey")


So I'm in Mozambique! Pretty crazy. It's actually still hard to believe. The past few days have been nuts! There are black people everywhere! It's so sick. (Note:  This means "so cool"). Especially the black kids. But everyone here smells so bad. Haha

That's good you got the picture Elder and Sister Osborn sent. Did you notice all the bug bites all over my face? I've been getting destroyed!

So I'm in a town called Quelimane. Its about a 2 hour plane ride from Maputo. This place is crazy. There are a lot of huts here! So tight. You should google this place to see what it looks like. When I walked into our apartment for the first time, I thought the other Elders were just messing with me cause the apartment is trash. I'm going to struggle adjusting. The whole city has trash everywhere. There is pretty much no floor, and bugs everywhere. I'll have to show you some pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to figure pictures out. So my first night here in Quelimane was pretty weird. Mostly because I didn't know any of the other Elders, and I just had no idea what was going on or what I was getting into. The next morning I woke up with bugs bites everywhere! This is because I didn't have a mosquito net that first night. But don't worry, the second night I did! That's the worst part about this whole week, bugs. I turns out, even after I had used the mosquito net, I was still waking up with bites all over my body. So, the bugs weren't mosquitos they were bed bugs. They are the worst! It hurts like no other, and I have red bites all over my body. But it's all good. I ironed my mattress and sheets, so hopefully I see a difference over the next few days. The food here is also the worst. They have little stores, but I've been eating a lot of oatmeal with no flavor. I hate oatmeal with no flavor. So hopefully I'll be able to find some better food to eat in the stores when we go today.

My companion is Elder Todd Workman from Dallas, Oregon. Yes, Dallas, Oregon. Haha. President Spendlove said his name definitley describes him. And that's exactly what I wanted in a companion! I think it's definitely a good match. I'm his last companion, so he'll go home in September. But he's still going hard! He'll need to, especially cause I don't speak Portuguese. I don't understand a word anyone says! It's the worst. But I'll pick it up eventually.

The work here in Quelimane is pretty new. There are only like 7 members. For real. We are going to emphasize (i probably spelled that wrong) teaching families. So that we can get this area up and going. I probably be in this area for up to 6 months, so I'm really planning on being a big part in getting this area going! The downside to being here for up to 6 months is that I have to live in that apartment forever. Haha oh well.

President Spendlove is... a character. He's not like anything I expected. The food they made us the fist day was interesting. They don't eat meat and only eat whole grain. Have you ever had whole grain waffles with bird seed and raisins mixed in? With fake african syrup on top? Haha. I'm definitely excited to meet President Kretly. He comes to Quelimane on July 18th. So I'll meet him then.

I live with 5 other Elders. They've all been out over a year, so they have the whole mission thing down. Which is good that I'll be able to learn from them. They all seem like good elders.

I haven't really experienced anything to crazy since I've been here. We take a lot of bike taxis though! That's so fun. A ton of boys here just ride their bike around, and give people rides all over the city. It only costs 5 meticals (18 cents) so it's super cheap. It's the african version on new york cabs! Haha its sweet.

One nasty thing, is that people just use the bathroom wherever they darnwell please. So disgusting. There is people just squating over on the side of the road! I almost threw up. Oh well, I better get used to it! The culture here is so different.

I guess another exciting thing, is that when I was down in Maputo for a day, you would not believe how many days I almost got hit by a car. It's a miracle I wasn't! People do not know how to drive. They drive on sidewalks, where ever there is room! It's pretty much a free for all. Kind of exciting though! People drive crazy here in Quelimane as well. I better get good a dodging cars!

It's so funny, because whener we walk around people just stare at us. Especially the kids. They stare cause we are so different from them. There are only 6 white guys in this whole city. All elders. Its tight.

That's cool you guys went to Moonbeams farewell. He's gonna be a good missionary! Germany is in for a treat for sure. Sounds like you guys have been having some fun fun back in Utah!

Dad, I hope you had a good birthday! Obviously I wasn't going to forget. Did you do anything super fun?

Alright well I think that's everything! It's been a crazy week, but I am slowly adjusting. A lot of things about this place is bad, but a lot of things about this place is good. Everyone is so nice! And I'm 2 for 2 on teaching a lesson when knocking on doors. So everyone is super willing. And it's not that things are bad, it's just different. By the time I'm done in Africa, my standard of living is going to be pretty low! Which will be good as a college student. Haha

Well I love you guys and I hope you all have a good week. 

Love you!
-Elder Williams