Monday, August 13, 2012

Quelimane - Week 17


Hey Family!
Sounds like it was a busy week back home! Everyone has a lot of things going on. First of all, I just wanted to apologize for not telling Britt and Geoff, and also Mom and Dad a happy anniversary. I was trying hard to remember last week so I could put it in my email, but then I forgot... so sorry about that! But I hope you all had happy anniversaries! I can't believe it's already been a year for Britt and Geoff. So crazy. And 24 years for Mom and Dad? So crazy.
And also we have a birthday this week! I can't believe Morgan is already turning 7. She's growing super fast! That's hilarious she wants to go to the mall for her birthday. Should be a fun day. Happy Birthday Morgan!
That's good you were able to sit with Elder Petersen and look at pictures and stuff. I bet it was a little over-whelming for him with all that family there. But I'm glad you guys got some good info! Considering I haven't sent one picture home... sorry about that. I gotta start taking more pictures! I'll take a lot this week I promise. That doesn't surprize me that he said Quelimane was his favorite place. I honestly love it. The church is just starting to get going, and it has so much potential. A lot of missionaries want to serve here I guess. I could honestly stay in my area for the whole two years. And I wouldn't mind at all! I love my investigators and there will be hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of members here after two years. I know it.
So let me tell you a cool story about one of our investigators, Cornelio. We had a really cool story with him this past weekend and it really helped strengthen my testimony about keeping the sabbath day holy. So Saturday night, we went to go visit him and teach him. When we got there, we got talking and he said that he wasn't going to be able to make it to church the next morning. Since Elder Petersen started teaching him in April, Cornelio has not missed one Sunday of church. Pretty amazing. But Cornelio's conflict this week was that he had a really good opprotunity with his music on the past Sunday. (yesterday). There was a huge music event going on, and he was supposed to go and sell cd's and he also had a show planned. This kid doesn't have anything, and his house is smaller then my bedroom back home pretty much. So this was a huge opprotunity for him to get his name out more, and he was even supposed to recieve money at this event yesterday. But during our lesson we talked about sacrifice and keeping the sabbath day holy. He said it's a really hard decision for him, and he didn't know what to do. Especially because there would be people waiting for him at the show and they would be mad if he didn't show up. But he said "it's better that those people are mad at me then God." So he decided he'd come to church. What a sacrifice! Unbelievable. I was so excited when I saw him walk through the gate for church yesterday. He straight up didn't show up for his show. What a stud. He even brought a referral! So we'll be teaching her this week. It's amazing to see people give up their lives for the gospel.
This past week we also had some good insight from President Kretly on what he wants to do with the mission. He said our baptismal rate is embarrassing, and we need to step it up. Throughout the whole mission, he wants one thousand baptisms per month. And I'm honestly not kidding. So that's our goal that he wants us to work towards. And I think it's possible as well. We just have to be all in and give everything we got. I guess when Elder Scott dedicated Mozambique he said it would be the African standard for the church one day. And I think that will be true, but we have a long way to go. So I'm ready for it!
You guys shouldn't be too worried about what I'm eating or anything. I cook with another Elder in the house and we seems to do a pretty good job. But I have gotten more skinny since the MTC... But I'll be doing push-ups and sit-ups so that I'm not to skinny and scrawny. Haha.
But yes, the toothpaste is the worst. It's from South Africa, so it's not to bad. But it's definitely not American toothpaste. Haha oh well. I just brush more often to make up for it.
Also, yes there isn't contact solution, but it's all good because an Elder left behind 2 bottles of it full. So that should keep me good for a few more months. I'll keep you updated.
The language is coming along and I can understand a lot now actually. It's amazing how fast I was able to learn! But I still have a long way to go obviously...
Justen Kho told me he's going to Hong Kong... Bahahahaha! I knew it. I've told him that for years. But I'm excited for him, and I know he's going to be an awesome missionary. Hong Kong is in for a treat!
I'm so glad Cade finally got his visa! I was thinking he wasn't going to get it at all, and he'd be stuck in Kansas. But I'm glad he finally gets to go down there. You'll have to let me know when he gets down there!
Also, l got Dear Elders last week, and that was a treat. I love getting those. I got a nice letter from Sister Squires in the ward. So if you could tell her that I got it, and thanks for the letter, I'd really appreciate it! It really did mean a lot.
I don't know what else to really share, with this limited time, but when does school start back home? Is Nick excited to start seminary for the first year? That's super weird he's starting seminary. I wanna hear all about school!
Well I love hearing for you all! I really love reading every word. I'm fine here in Africa, and I hope you all have a good week!
Love you all!
-Elder Williams
ps. Church is true :)