Monday, May 27, 2013

Matola - Week 57

Well, I'm here safe and sound in my new area! Coming down to Maputo from Beira is quite a difference. I don't even feel like I'm in Africa anymore! It honestly feels like California. The roads are way nice, just about all families have cars, and there is not as much trash in the road. The palm trees give it a Southern California feel. It really is kind of a culture shock.
The area, is good. When I got down here, me and Elder Lake decided to make a few switches with the areas in our zone. The biggest area, is called Liberdade. Which in english is Liberty. There are about 60,000 people the live in that area alone. We felt like not much was happening in that area, but that it was the area with the most potential. So me and Elder Lake, switched areas with another companionship. We have the task of Liberdade to help it grow. Right now, there isn't much going on. The last Elders who worked in here are great Elders, they just had some hard times. Hopefully we can help the ball roll a little bit more. Yesterday at church, we had 1 investigator come to church. So we are kind of starting at ground zero. But we will be working hard to help this area grow. Out of all 60,000 members in Liberdade there are a total of 0 families that are baptized in the church. Not a single one. Including less actives. Hopefully we can be apart of helping MANY families come unto the fold, and be baptized. I'm excited for the challenge.

Yesterday, we went into the city to meet up with the assistants of President. We received our zone's stats, and everything that the Matola zone needs to become a stake. Just talking about the stake of Matola. Seperate from Maputo. Each branch needs to baptize 25 more families, and we need to have 1000 more members. So we have a long way to go. But we are going to be getting started right now! And I know the Lord will help. 20 year old men are not capable of estalishing a stake. But God is capable! So we need to rely on him to be able to do it!

So when I flew down to Maputo on Tuesday, who was waiting for m at the airport? Elder Martinez! We've stayed on oposite ends of the country for our whole mission, so it was cool to see him and talk to him for a little while. The funny thing is, he got transfered up to Beira 2! We are pretty much swithing branches. Haha so I will still stay on the opposite end of the country. Kinda funny. But we were able to take a picture back at my new house. 

Here in Maputo, it is very cold! At about 6 or 7 at night it gets very chilly. (Family Note: the low is 67 degrees).  I'm going to start proselyting in long sleeve shirts it is so cold. Maputo really does feel like a whole new country.

Well, the internet here is having a lot of problems. The site is not even letting us send emails, so I hope you guys all get this! I don't have that much time to write, because we are here to make a
training that we will be giving to our district leaders tomorrow. The training should turn out pretty well. I'll let you know how it goes! I will also be doing a division with a district leader this week, so I'm excited to be able to work with them. There are a lot of good Elders in our zone, including Elder Fontes who I served with for 4 months in Manga.

Well, have a great week! So sad to hear about the pup dean (our dog), but i figured the time was close. He really as a good dog. Have  a good week and I love you all!

Love, Elder Williams

ps. Happy Birthday to the small babe! Is that 11 years old?