Monday, April 14, 2014

Maputo - Week 104 (Last letter home)

Today has been so crazy... we have been running around all day doing all sorts of stuff. We thought we would have a little bit of down time this afternoon, but we ended up having a very important meeting with President this afternoon about transfers. So this is the only time we have to write. We have a little bit of time before we go to the airport later tonight to pick up a missionary.
Well, I never thought this week would come... but it came. And a lot faster than I had expected. I appreciated the emails I received today. Some of them made me very emotional. I kind of had an emotional breakdown this afternoon...
I was asked to share two things in my last letter home. First, all that I have learned over the past two years; and second, my testimony. It will be absolutely impossible to share all the I learned over the past few years. But I'll share the top few things.
1. God is our Loving Heavenly Father- I didn't even almost understand this before the mission. He really is so aware of us. He only wants one thing for us which is our happiness. It's no wonder that this is the first topic in the first missionary lesson. I have felt God's love for the mozambiquan people, and it's real. 
2. Atonement- Two years ago, I had no idea how much I was going to need to rely on the Atonement. The Atonement is what carried me through each and everyday. Everytime we were rejected, everytime it was hot outside, everytime I was thirsty, everytime I slept in hot mosquito net, I knew that someone else had been then before me. Someone a lot better than me.
3. I am not even close to perfect- This one might be a surprize. But this is one of the most important things I learned on my mission. Everytime I studied the scriptures, everytime I did companion study, read Preach My Gospel, studied the Christlike attributes, I realized how much room I have to improve. Sometimes, I felt llike I wanted to be perfect in all Christlike attributes. I really did come to realize that, ''I can't be perfect know, but in the Lord's time and with His help, I can become perfect.'' I can't wait for that day!
4. Obedience brings happiness- This applies in misisonary work and in life in general. The happiest missionaries, are the ones the follow all the mission rules. Also, the people who follow our Heavenly Father's commandments are the happiest. Commandments are our guidelines to a fullness of joy.
5. Revelation is real- So many times, the Lord made things known to me about investigators/district/zone. Revelation come to those who diligently seek it with a sincere heart, having faith in Christ. It is one more proof of our Heavenly Fathers love.
I could go on and on... I really have learned so much. But because of time, I won't be able to. I am so grateful for these eternal truths that I have come to know. If it wasn't for the misison, I may never have gotten to know them.
I bear my testimony of the truthfullness of all of this. I didn't just spend two years on an african adventure. But I participated in our Heavenly Father's work. I know he loves us. For I have felt his love. I know that his plan of happiness really does bring happiness and salvation to all uf His children. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the universe. Everything revolves around Him. It is only through his Atonement that we are able to joyfully live this life and voltar to the presence of our Father.
I know, the in the year 1820, Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. I know he was a true prophet of God and the the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the Gospel, It really is true that,''man will become nearer to God by abaiding by its preciepts then by any other book.'' I know that true temple work and preisthood ordinances that families can be together forever. I am so grateful for this knowledge that I have.
I love misisonary work. I can't wait til I can serve again! For the rest of my life, everytime I hear the word 'mission' or 'missionary' or 'elder' or 'africa' I will think about my mission. It's been the greatest gift to me. I now know why people say ''I wouldn't trade my misison for anything.'' Because it's so true. They really are the best two years. Thank you for your support.

Love, Elder Williams