Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sunday afternoon thoughts by Elder Williams' Father

Words can't describe the emotion that I have felt as we have arrived in Maputo.  We arrived late Friday evening after a few very long flights.  As we walked down the ramp from the plane and took the shuttle to the international arrival terminal, my wife and I were as anxious as the day he arrived in our arms.  After passing through immigration and then customs, we could see a missionary (Elder Bigelow) through the tempered glass.  As my wife anxiously passed through the breezeway and caught the attention of Elder Williams standing off to the right she dropped her bags and ran into the arms of her waiting son.  I quickly joined as the three of us shared common tears at a joyous reunion.   I can tell that Elder Williams has (and at this writing probably) profound feelings at the prospect of leaving this wonderful country.  He is truly not the young boy I left at the curb two years ago.  Like everything that we give to the Lord,  he multiples and leaves us eternally in his debt.  Elder Williams, like everything else that I own, belongs to the Lord.  He is our strength and our guiding light.  The work that is being done by the Lord here in Mozambique is unique and priceless.  These young men who have been called to serve in this amazing place are being guiding by His hand each and everyday.  Elder Williams has learned that when we are obedient to the commandments of God,  he can bless us as we heed the promptings of the spirit.  As Elder Williams’ earthly father, I will always be thankful to the Lord for sending my son to such a humble place with such loving and kind people. I share my testimony with that of Elder Williams that I know he has been engaged in spreading the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know that He lives for I have seen his guiding influence in the lives of these Mozambicans.  These humble pioneers are leaving their families and the traditions of their fathers to join His church.  I have as much admiration for them as I do my own ancestral pioneers that joined the church in the British Isles and traveled the lonely seas and dusty plains to arrive in the Salt Lake Valley.  As I have met and hugged and kissed the people here in Maputo and Matola I have felt their love for their Savior as they try to humbly keep the commandments as taught to them by ordained ministers of the Lord Jesus Christ.  

I will always be grateful for the experience my son has had in Mozambique, for it gave him what he needed to always remain faithful as he continues to strive for eternal life.  And… along the way, he took me with him.