Monday, October 22, 2012

Quelimane - Week 26


Well, change is always happening here in the mission. It's so weird. Sometimes I feel like I've been in Quelimane forever, but today, it feels like I just barely got here. It's amazing how time flies.
We just recieved transfer slides a few minutes ago. And it is not anything like I expected! I figured I'd stay another transfer here in Quelimane with Elder Andrade, or I would go to new area. And it turns out, I'm going to a new area!
I've been transfered to Manga. Which is an area in Beira. Beira is the second biggest city in Mozambique, and President is putting a lot of missionaries there because one of our goals is to have a stake in Beira, and in Maputo. So I'm glad to be a part of that.
There was one thing imparticular about the transfer slides that completely caught me off guard. Not only am I going to a new area, but I'm training a new Elder. Not only am I training a new Elder, but I'm training a Cape Verdian. That means I won't be speaking English for awhile!
Over my first few months in the country, I've learned a lot. I learned a lot of things from my trainer, Elder Workman. I know that trainers have a big responsibility. A new missionary will do and learn things through example. I'm excited to help Elder Fontes (my new companion) develop traits and characteristics that will make him an extraordinary missionary.
I never thought I would be training this early in my mission. As a matter of fact, just 6 weeks ago, I was still technically being trained. But I know that President Kretly has a lot of faith in me, but also, I know that The Lord has faith in me. So I'm excited for the opprotunity to bring the gospel to the amazing people of Manga.
I'm excited for a new chapter in my mission, but I really am sad to leave Quelimane. The people I've met, experiences I've had, I will never forget. Yesterday, after the Principles of the Gospel class, Elder Osborn asked me to offer the prayer because it was most likely my last church meeting here in Quelimane. After he announced it and after the prayer, Elizabeth, one of our investigators came up to me and asked if it was true. I explained the situation and that we still didn't know for sure if I was leaving. In that moment, she broke down and started crying. I found Elizabeth about 4 months ago. Some of my most spiritual experiences have been when we teach that women. She has an unbelievable testimony, and is waiting on a husband to get married so that she can get baptized. She thanked me for finding her, and then walked away as she still had tears in her eyes. It was an extrememly tender moment for me as well. I know, that I personally was chosen to teach her over these past few months. She thinks that I've changed her life forever, but really, it's the Gospel of Jesus Christ that changed her life. And as I was a part of it, she changed my life. I will never forget the people that I've met here. It really does hurt to leave them.
Since I'm not going to be in Quelimane anymore, I guess you shouldn't worry about sending me a package. I'll figure out the package situation once I get to Manga and let you know. Somethings I might want in my package are ties, contact solutuion, and american candy? Haha. But I'll let you know next week about the mail situation there.
I'm glad to here about the experiences at home! Tiff's missionary experience, the family reunion, etc. Sounds like everyone is happy and doing great! 
Well, I super don't know what else to say! Other than the new that I'm being transfered to Manga and that I'll now be training. I'm anxious to get that and start this new chapter in the mission. I'll be leaving for Beira either tomorrow or Wednesday. That means, another long, hot, uncomfortable bus ride. Haha. But hey, it's all part of the experience. It should be an interesting week, and I'll let you all know how it goes! I love you all and I hope you have a great week!

Love, Elder Williams